- &&&&&&&&& details >>>>>>>>>
- For secure communications: Signal, Protonmail, and VeraCrypt.
- For data extraction: Google Pinpoint, Tesseract, and Google Sheets.
- For visual forensics: Google Earth Pro, TweetDeck, and youtube-dl.
- For social media analysis: WeVerify Twitter SNA, NodeXL, and CrowdTangle.
If seeking tools for specific topics or functions, another approach is to browse for tools by category in a comprehensive open source apps dashboard — for instance, the BBC Africa Eye Forensics Dashboard, the Marc Kranat OSINT Dashboard, or Craig Silverman’s Verification Handbook.
But, often, reporters simply stumble upon tools as they go along — whether new or well-known to others or designed for other industries — which over-perform their expectations, and become instant favorites.